Monday, June 21, 2004

"I Have the Power!"

Today was the first day of summer school. I was expecting at least thirty kids, but about seven were absent. That's good. It means less students to deal with.

The first day was outstanding compared to my first day of teaching ever. I had plenty of stuff to do, the kids (knowing that summer school is their last chance to pass the course) were well-behaved. I heard no moans when they saw the course syllabus, nor any complaints about the many quizzes and assignments due on the first week. No one grumbled about bringing their book everyday, a heavy ten-pound behemoth of a text. Not only that, not all my students are staying for the entire six weeks, which means I could see some go and get new students maybe after the first three weeks are over.

It felt good... all that power and not one student brave enough to try and challenge me-- not when they know they can get possibly kicked out for little things. Summer school is strict that way. I'm feeling so confident because I already have old lesson plans and old things that I can use... and kids who have to be good and learn this stuff once and for all.

Power. Confidence. Happiness. Life can't get any better than this.

Shit. I shouldn't have said that; I might get into another car accident.