Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Those Kids...

In class today, the students and I were discussing one of Shakespeare's sonnets, "Sonnet 144," about a love triangle. The couplet at the end of this sonnet is as follows:

Yet this shall I ne'er know, but live in doubt,
Till my bad angel fire my good one out.
I informed the kids that the "fire" alluded to either a) the fires of hell, or b) sexually transmitted diseases. We had a funny discussion about sexual practices in Shakespeare's time, to which one of my students started laughing by himself. I asked him what was funny that he had to laugh all alone and not share the joke.

"I just had a thought... about the Bible... but it's inappropriate," he said.

At this point, the entire class looked at him and he aroused (no pun intended) my curiosity as well. So I gave him this look that encouraged him to share this thought. With a repressed snicker, he said, "The burning bush."

I nearly burst out laughing and the other kids started snickering as well.

That was the best joke I've heard these past months.