Wednesday, November 06, 2002

Ode to My Car… Again

My mother thinks my car is jinxed. When I got into my second accident, she said it was cursed and that we should return it to the dealer. I said that I liked my car and that I was not giving it up. It must have been pride or vanity that made me want to keep it, but after last night’s accident, I’m definitely keeping it.

Four accidents, and you’re probably thinking that my car must be pretty crappy looking by now, but it’s not. Because I drive such long distances, and because I’ve made an investment in paying for this car, I want to make sure that it will always be reliable when I need it. I check it in at the dealership for regular tire rotations and oil changes, and whenever I get into an accident, I’m vain enough to get it fixed--whatever the cost—because I want my car to look nice.

My car looks like crap now, but with its crooked smile (falling front bumper), missing hubcap, and cracked body, I know everything can be replaced and fixed and it will be “perfect” again, like my life. (Hear that, Fate!?). My car knows that I’ll have it nice and pretty. It must also know that I can’t be easily fixed or replaced if I were to get hurt.

If I take care of my car, then it will take care of me. Four accidents and I have been able to walk away without a scratch or even a bruise. Why? Because my car took the beating for me. Do I love my car? Oh, yeah….

No comments: