Monday, September 30, 2002

Youth and Old Age

Adult education classes are held in my classroom in the evening. One late afternoon, as I was trying to do a lesson plan, the teacher for the evening class came in and we started talking. As we conversed, his students started coming into the room. I watched his students: elderly citizens who are retired and eager to learn about the Internet. They filed in, one by one, with their legal pads and curiosity. As they seated themselves in front of a computer, I watched a man and woman help each other out as they logged into their accounts. It brought a smile to my face as well as a sense of longing. I began to wish I was at that point in my life: old and free, knowing all the answers to the meaning of my life, not wondering about the decisions I have to make, and spending time doing something for myself.

I can be a patient person, but most times, I’m not. I wish I knew the answers to all the decisions I’m going to make in my life, so I can plan accordingly. I hate not knowing the future. I want to be there already. Will I hate teaching? Will I be loyal to my profession? Don’t get me wrong: I’m very happy with my life. There are so many things that I am grateful for—family, friends, a job that I’ve always wanted (if I can get the hang of it), a roof over my head, and my mental well-being. My life is perfect, and I shouldn’t complain. Happiness will come. One day, I will be at the point where I can reflect on my life and know that I was happy each and every day. I just have to be patient.

No comments: