Sunday, January 11, 2004

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Five reasons why I like reading Harry Potter:
1. Hermione
2. Hermione
3. Hermione
4. Hermione
5. Hermione

It only took me three days to read. It was so good. What I really liked was Harry's character development and how flawed a person he can be. You think the main character of a book would be like a superstar, a goody-goody who can do no wrong, but this book really showed Harry's narrow-minded view of himself and how his "tragic me" mentality can land him in trouble. Hermione even points this out.

A new character in the book was Professor Umbridge. Rowling did a good job of making me really hate this character. I wish I could just reach into the book and strangle Umbridge and her "hem, hem." I loved how McGonnagall can really bite back at her with her sarcastic retorts.

And Snape. Who can forget our lovely Snape? I like Snape as much as I like Hermione. There's a scene in this book which really humanizes Snape as a person with feelings and a tormented past, not just a teacher who's out to make Harry's life miserable. And of course, I like Alan Rickman's portrayal as well.

As I read the book, I kept thinking of the actors who portray them in the movie. I wonder who will play the young James Potter, Sirius Black, and Snape... If I were an actor to play a part in the Harry Potter movie, I'd like to play Nymphadora Tonks (what a funky name!). I want to be able to change my hairstyle in several scenes.

Good book. Can't wait for the next one.

No comments: