Tuesday, December 16, 2003

I once thought that joining a community would give me a wider audience and get more people to reading my site, but I also knew that joining a community, especially an ethnic one and with my bicultural background, would mean excluding one of my cultures. This is why I don't join communities.

In short, some guy (non-Asian expat in Hong Kong) is hosting an Asia Weblog Award and it's causing a rife. The two camps are:
A) individuals who actually have Asian blood (whether or not they live in Asia)
B) individuals who have no-Asian ancestry but are living in Asia

Even though the debate has been resolved, it's probably opened up some questions in the Asian blogging community as to what qualifies as an Asian blog. Ethnic communities, in the end, do not encompass, but exclude.

No comments: