Friday, September 19, 2003

Now I Understand

When I first saw "Bram Stoker's Dracula" by Francis Ford Coppola, I actually thought it was slightly boring. It wasn't horrific as I hoped it would be. I read the book back in junior high, which means I forgot a whole bunch of stuff when I actually saw the movie. Post-viewing, I read the book over, and my feeling was, "Ugh... the movie was way off." No wonder I was bored.

I know that Hollywood always distorts things to make them more interesting for their audience, but a decent bloodfest would have been just as good rather than promoting the idea that vampirism, especially in Dracula, is erotic; there was nothing erotic in that book. You want erotic? Read Anne Rice.

I wanted to see a movie that depicted Dracula in his horrific nature, as the book intended. But if I can't get a decent movie, maybe I'll get to read a decent comic. Thank the heavens for comics!

No comments: