Wednesday, February 12, 2003

In my quest to find something to do on a weekend, as I am no longer a full time teacher, I invited a friend to attend a recital with me on Sunday night. It's been a long time since I stayed up on a Sunday night without feeling guilty, and it's been a long time since my friend's been to a concert. So, who did we see? My one and only favorite satirical goth band: Rasputina.

I've always wondered how Melora Creager can play a cello and sing at the same time with a tight corset wrapped around her stomach. I was amazed by her versatility and talent--that woman has got some mad skills with a cello. She plays that instrument like Joe Satriani plays his guitar. I wish I could play like her. The bow literally bounced off the strings of the cello yet there is a full complete sound and timbre that doesn't scratch like screechy violins. It resonates like a natural echo in a grand auditorium.

I've been a fan of Rasputina since their debut in 1996, but I have never seen them in concert. My first impression of Melora: she's really tiny. All the pictures in the albums make her look tall. In reality, she's a petite thing, but that's the lovable irony that is her--she's cute in her small petite way, yet she's got bite in her whole attitude when she plays. Zoe, the relatively new cellist, was tall and graceful. During the recital, she whispered to Melora that she had to go to the bathroom, and Melora made the general announcement to the audience that they had to take a pee-pee break. That was funny.

I wish I had known that cameras were allowed on the premises. I would have taken pictures to last me a lifetime. But really, there are no words to describe the bewildering awe I felt while watching Melora and Zoe play heavy rock music on classical instruments.

No comments: