Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Give to the Needy

I just got off the phone with a UCSD Alumni representative. She was asking for donations. You know what? I just ended my job. I just can't afford a $365 donation at this time. That's how much she was asking. The first time a representative called me about four years ago, she asked for nearly $500. To an affluent university, the word "donation" is still too much for my middle-class ass. I nearly dropped the phone when the representative proceeded to tell me that "$365 is the top bid." Is that really affordable? That's more than my car payment. Why would I spend more money on a tax-deductible donation when I could be paying off my car?

This boggles me: one of the richest schools in California, which is part of the world-renowned UC system, which receives federal and private grants, is asking for money. For what? To improve academic programs, such as the Literature Department (the representative had to mention that just because I majored in Literature). Oh, pull my friggin' heartstrings! Or was she really asking for money on behalf of Governor Davis? I think the President of Regents for the UC system is trying to ensure his financial security.

No comments: