Thursday, December 05, 2002

Catering

After school today, another teacher called me up to discuss the academic progress of a certain student who is in the special education program. After that conversation, I found a notice in my mailbox regarding another student, who is also in the special education program. I have to haul my ass to campus at 6:45am to discuss the individualized educational plan (IEP) of one student. From there, I went back to my classroom and hesitated to even check my email, where I know one of the assistant aides regularly sends me monitoring sheets for two other students who have “special needs.” Also, in my second block class, one of my special education students was absent today, so I have to email the special education teacher to find out if her absence was valid. And the other day, I had a student write about suicide.

I have the most sophomores in this high school. In total, I have 127 social fifteen year olds with identity crises—that’s four classes, approximately 32 students in each class. Some of the teachers have sympathized with me for several reasons: a) I have the highest probability of having students in the special education program; b) when essays come, I have 127 papers to grade. I’m only glad that I’m not teaching the research paper next semester.

In the legal sense, I am a teacher who is bound by law to give equal access to core curriculum to language learners and to students who are in the special education program. I have 127 sophomores with crappy little attitudes, one lesson plan, one version of tests and worksheets. And the special education department expects me to take care of their students with INDIVIDUAL special needs. I worked in the special education department four years ago at another school, and it is difficult to create individualized worksheets and lesson plans that cater to six students’ individual needs.

Is my plate a little full? I think so! No wonder my freshman class (20 other outgoing students) gets the shaft. I don't think I'll ever master the "flexibility" and infinite number of multi-tasks that this job requires.

No comments: