Saturday, October 19, 2002

Asian Communities…whatever.

I can’t help roll my eyes whenever I see sites that collectively join other sites into a “community.” While surfing the net, I came upon an article my sister emailed me, and two sites—Generation Rice and Rice Bowl. Why does rice have to be the universal symbol for Asians? Why does an Asian online community even exist? 

In the past, personal websites have always tried to maintain some semblance of uniqueness, but that doesn’t happen when they’re all lumped into one category, no matter how great their individual website looks. As for that article, why do we have to have a Little Manila? Doesn’t the fact a large Filipino community living in an area already constitute a valid Filipino community? Is an official title really all that necessary? A community establishes itself by its citizens, not its name. Filipinos have their own place already. Enough said. 

I remember a time when people hated being categorized. Now they want to fall under a category if it means establishing an identity through a community with which they can be associated. As for me, I’m under the blog community. Anonymity is my identity. Stress is the drive. Cynicism is the muse. Egoism is the inspiration. I am my own category.

No comments: