Monday, May 10, 2004

Under Pressure

I'm up in Riverside and I met with a school district who offered me a job. I won't have 30 days to review my contract as they first stated because my references cleared and they are all set to go with hiring me. All that is missing is my John Hancock. I have a week to decide... just one week.

I was hoping that my first choice district would have contacted me by now, but I'm not going to pin any of my hopes on that now, so I am a bit disappointed.

While I was in the area, I even visited one of the schools, met with the assistant principal, observed two classrooms, and got a copy of the district's curriculum. I drove around the freeways and looked at the neighborhoods. If I were to compare the landscape, it reminded me of the far end of the 8 East freeway, near Viejas, where there are some outlet malls and a few houses.

I want to teach, but I'm so reluctant about relocating, mainly because the barren wastelands that are just mountains and deserts won't do much to heal my sanity, especially when I start breaking down.

One week.