Monday, April 26, 2004

Reverse Culture Shock In Effect... Now

Today was my first official day of going back to work. Yes, audience, I started substituting again. As I walked on campus, marveling at being back in an American high school, I was also at a dismay when I started seeing the way girls dress. Did shirts gets tinier? Did skirts get smaller? Did low-rise jeans get lower? And those boys... sagging that you can see their boxers curve their asses. I hate playing dress code police. Why don't fathers check what their daughters are wearing? I almost began to miss the Japanese school uniforms.

Luckily, the classes I subbed weren't so bad... until the last period. Female culprit; her outfit: low-rise jeans and a black blouse baring a bit of midriff. Sounds and looks tame. In fact, I didn't even think much of it. Not until the very end of class when she turned in her desk and started talking to some of her classmates. She had been talking for most of the period, so when the bell rang, I called her to approach the bench.

In cold female to female honesty, I said to her: "I just wanted to say that when you sit down, your butt-crack shows."

She laughed. I don't know whether she laughed because she tried to hide her embarrassment or because she didn't believe me. Maybe she even laughed because I was just a substitute who had no real jurisdiction and she thought she was going to get away with it today. Or maybe she laughed because she thought she was going to be in trouble for talking so much and she didn't expect me to make a comment about her ass. She laughed and disregarded my comment. I couldn't tell her to pull up her pants. They were already low. I was so itching to say some degrading sexist comment. Must... control... myself.

And damn you, Britney Spears. I blame you for all of this.