Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Subbing

Since I won’t be doing anything for the next month before I leave for Japan, I decided to help out my fellow English teachers and offered my services as a substitute teacher. Today was my first “sub job.” It’s a whole new experience. I actually have to sign-in and pick up stuff from the front office.

You know that feeling when you’ve been given a pass to access entrances freely without question, like having an ID with an access code that can get you through the back door? Let’s just say that having to sign-in at the front desk was like having those privileges taken away. I don’t have a parking permit, so I can’t park in the staff parking anymore; I don’t have my own keys to a classroom, and my computer account expired last week. Out of habit, I went to the teacher’s lounge and almost picked up my mail from my mailbox. But it’s not my mailbox anymore… it’s someone else’s box… although my name is still on it. Oh, the memories…

I’m a substitute now. *sigh* This bites. I feel like I'm totally out of the loop.

As I walked through the halls, many of the teachers were surprised to see me, and they were glad that I was subbing for a while. I bumped into a few of MY students, who all objected to their new teachers. My supposed white supremacist spotted me in the parking lot, and he said to me, “Hi, Ms. G. You’re supposed to be our teacher.” (Yeah, he said it just like that.)

“Hi, K------. How’s the new teacher?” I asked with a suppressed laugh.

“She’s mean.”

“She started this week, right? It’s only the second day you've had her.”

He shook his head. “She's mean. She's young like you, but she's mean. We all want you back.”

When I smiled at this, he said, “Have a good one. I’ll see you around.”

Oh, be still my aortic valve! They miss me. Throughout the day, I've encountered more of my students who all insisted that I come back because I was still their teacher. Oh, how sweet… But remember: I am only the lesser of two evils.

*august23 radiates with egotistical glow* Until I hear that my kids have warmed up to their new teachers, I shall bask in all the flattery they give me.

No comments: