Monday, January 20, 2003

Men and Women
Looking for the Perfect One

As I was checking my email on Yahoo last night, I accidentally pressed the Yahoo! Personals advertisement. When personal ads started appearing, I thought I would take a look and see what kind of people would actually have the guts to post personal ads. I’m not making fun of these people at all. I actually commend them for being brave for posting personals on an international web server.

Being female, I naturally went to search for “ideal matches” on the male side. I was surprised that there are actually a good decent number of men who are single in my city. Many of them are not even local because they were transferred here due to military careers. I could understand their need for some companionship in a city that is unfamiliar to them. But even with the influx of the male population from other states, my question is: why are they still single?

For a laugh, I went to the listing of women to see if I knew anyone—possible old friends from high school, former co-workers, or even women I knew currently. Being a woman, I had to say that I was ashamed of what I saw. Now I know why men are still single.

The differences between men posting ads and women posting ads are that men are more open to possibilities, whereas women are not. Although many men admitted that they were looking for commitment and relationships, they were also open to the women who could answer their ads. Not one male ad that I have seen restricted their ideal woman to be of a certain race, age, or occupation. Women, on the other hand, are so damn picky! Some women were looking for men only in the military, some women preferred only a single race; then there are some who had to be a certain religion, down to certain income, and even when women were divorced, they were looking for a single man who had never been married. Yeah, right! As if they can start their lives over with men who had never been chained to the ball!

There could be so many interpretations about this: Do men, who have no preferences except that a woman should be fun and friendly, have more opportunities to meet women because they are open to possibilities, or are they really shallow and take any woman who will answer their ads? Do women have higher standards and priorities, or are they just picky gold-diggers? After looking at their ads, it doesn’t even seem to be about standards but prerequisites. Men have to be this, this, and this before the women will ever date them. And then you hear them complain that there are never any good men to find.

Personally speaking, I dislike girls and “girly” ways (we’re all bitches, but we won’t admit it). I was ashamed to be one of them when I read their ads. It only takes a couple of girls like that to ruin it for the rest of us.

No, I’m not single. I am a Cynical Teacher with Cuddly Intentions and Mild Spontanaeity. I can be very demanding, yet Mr. Fun and Friendly-Male Chauvanist-Sports Fanatic keeps me happy. He’s not perfect, but neither am I.

No comments: