Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Stupid Environmentalist Beliefs
Please, Not While I'm Eating

Everyone seems to suddenly want to spread the good joy and spout their beliefs during this time of Christianity—even if it’s not in the holiday spirit. For instance, my sister, her boyfriend, and I went to a new sushi restaurant that we wanted to try out. When we sat down, a nice waitress of about nineteen years approached us and asked us what we wanted to drink. My sister and I ordered water while her boyfriend ordered a Coke. The drinks arrived a couple minutes later, and out of habit, my sister asked for straws for all of us.

“I don’t believe in giving out straws because they’re bad for the environment, but I’ll get you one if you really want one,” was the reply from the nice waitress of about nineteen years.

My sister, her boyfriend, and I were taken aback, and we looked at each other with dumbfounded expressions. “Huh?” Our gazes slowly returned to the waitress. Did we hear her right?

My sister tries again, once more with a tinge of polite submissiveness, true to her Asian upbringing: “Can we have straws…?”

“They’re bad for the environment, but I’ll get you one,” the young waitress replied with cheerleader perkiness, and waited for my sister’s answer.

“No… that’s okay.” My sister knitted her brows and shamefully picked up the menu.

The waitress walked away with a smile on her face as though she had done some good deed for the day: convincing someone not to use a straw. She has just saved the world from an unfriendly drinking mechanism.

My sister’s boyfriend glanced at us and said, “That was a turn off.”

“Yeah,” I grunted. “You go to a restaurant to enjoy a meal and then you get someone’s pushy belief about the environment for asking for a straw. What the hell…? Some people can’t keep their friggin’ ideas to themselves.”

Total damage at the restaurant: $49.00. Tip should have been approximately $6.00. We got stingy and left only $4.00.

No comments: