Friday, December 27, 2002

Copycat
august23’s girl-rant


I went shopping with my sister today, and it’s so disappointing to find some of the women’s fashions of the times are mere imitations of the 1980s—diagonal hemlines, off-the-shoulder blouses, pastel colors, orange and baby blue are back, and thick-heeled Mary Janes.

I have to say that from the 1990s to the present time, fashion is just not original anymore. When I was in sixth grade, my teacher jokingly predicted that bell-bottoms would come back in style. Two years later, as I entered junior high, bell-bottoms did make a comeback, and they’ve evolved into something called flares. I’ve managed to stay away from it for the past ten years, but it makes buying slacks or pants that much more difficult.

Recently, I tried to buy a dress for my former roommate’s company party. What did I find but a bunch of glitter dresses with diagonal hemlines with off-the-shoulder tops, or the notorious one-strap dress. They are so… trendy-nasty! As much as I like the 1980s, the fashion was just indescribable. Who wants to live through that again?

No comments: