Thursday, November 21, 2002

A Quote That Got Me Obsessed

When I was in college, there was this daily planner that I had in my second year. It contained weekly quotes to inspire whoever used the planner. Those quotes were also a good source of “food for thought” mental meanderings as I rode the bus to the university. There was this one quote that I partially forgot, but I still get half of it. It goes something like, “Don’t leave what you can finish today for tomorrow…” something or other. That may even be the full quote… I think.

At present, I procrastinate every once in a while, but now that I’m into teaching, this quote keeps coming up in my mind. I have so much work that I bring home because I’m obsessed with finishing as much as I can. But as I’ve realized, a teacher’s work will never end (not until mid-June anyway), and if I tried to finish as much as I could, I will never have a social life.

Old habits die hard.

Weekly incentive: “coffee talk” with a friend.

The weekly incentives help me to define the borders of work and play.

No comments: